Rights under the Privacy Rule
Consumer's have the following rights under the Privacy Rule:
- Receive a written Notice of Privacy Practices
- Receive notice on the first day of services
- Posted at all service locations and on the Web-site
- The consumer must sign an acknowledgment of receipt of the notice which should be filed in the consumer's record
- Request restrictions on how their information (PHI) is used and disclosed.
- Request access to (inspect or copy) their medical records unless it is determined it will endanger the life of physical safety of the conumser or others.
- Request amendments (corrections) to their medical records - however we can never remove anything that is corrected from the record.
- Request special accommodations (considerations) on how their health information is communicated (e.g. alternate addresses and phone numbers).
- Request an accounting of who PHI has been disclosed to.
- File a complaint with Gulf Bend, TDHHS, Texas Attorney General, and/or to the Federal Department of Health and Human Services.
ALL REQUESTS TO ACCESS, FOR AN ACCOUNTING, TO AMEND, TO RESTRICT, ETC. MUST BE IN WRITING.