He Says I'm Ignorant , Being a Moron
Me and my boyfriend live together and have been in a relationship for almost 3 years. We now have a 4 month old child.
The beginning of our relationship was great during the first year. Then, it got really bad for quite sometime with lots of arguing and fighting. During this period I almost left a couple times. I even gave up multiple dream jobs because he said if I really loved him I wouldn't move away. So, I didn't move and then got pregnant.
Since then there has been less arguing but it still occurs, at least once a week. I feel like he's constantly contradicting himself. When he is mad, he says that he is lying to me because he "pretends" to be happy. Then, when he is happy again he says he is lying and doesn't mean the things he said when he was mad. When he's mad he says it,s because he wants me to be less ignorant. He says that I'm a moron, his bitch, worthless, just another piece of shit in this world. He says that I don't do anything and even puts me down for how I look. He says that I wear glasses because I'm a moron and that I can't think for myself.
I just started working again 2 weeks ago. It's my first job since having the baby. He has to watch her 2 nights a week and on weekends. I always ask how the night went. He is tired but says it really wasn't that bad.
Today he blew up because he said I don't have any intuition and I am being ignorant for not knowing that he is exhausted from our daughter and that I need to change my work schedule.
I know he is tired but I assumed everything was okay because he wasn't complaining nor did he say anything about it before.
During the argument he raised his hand and said he wanted to hit me, but didn't do it. He hasn't ever hit me, just raised his hand or said he wanted to. He said that he doesn't want to break up with me, but I'm making him feel that he wants to break up with me.
When he is not angry I am completely in love with that person. He is a big sweetheart, does so much for me and my daughter, is emotionally very loving, giving, and happy. Then he gets set off, and I am to blame.
I do not want our daughter to be raised thinking that its okay for a woman to be undermined. I am writing this to you because I am extremely confused. Am I possibly being ignorant and not having intuition? I mean this right here shows I am not thinking for myself by writing you. Am I being unfair for asking him to watch our daughter while I go to work? He does work hard labor 40 hours a week. I want to stay because it always does get better. he is a good dad, but part of me is so confused and maybe I'm the one who needs to change.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.