my little sister
my little sister is only 15. she has serious issues with anger and depression. though it may sound unreal, she has attacked me for just asking her to turn down her music because the baby is sleeping or because i have a headache. she has also once attacked my ex boyfriend/father of my baby for the same reason. i think it is because i got pregnant at only 16, but she won\'t say why. my best friend has become very close to her and has tried finding out why she hates me so much. she won\'t say anything, just that she doesn\'t hate me, she\'s just really upset... that\'s all. my friend tells me that she has serious mental problems and she believe she needs to go to some kind of mental institute to get help. she says my little sister tells her when she has serious suicidal thaughts and she has cut herself before. i don\'t understand why she hurts me so much, and i can\'t lay one finger on her. maybe it\'s because i love her too much and can\'t hurt her not even to defend myself, even when she trys to choke me. while she\'s sttacking me, i talk to her as gently as possible, just a little louder than a whisper, looking her straight in her eyes and ask again and again, \'what\'s wrong?\' and \'why are you doing this?\'. she just yells at me and tells me that i should know why and that i\'ll just have to figure it out because she isn\'t going to tell me. after the fight is over and we\'re talking it over with my parents, she doesn\'t seem to remmeber half the things she did like if she had zoned out or something. her eyes are always full of hate and anger. she curses ALL the time even when my parents tell her not to, she does it with more will to them. it\'s like she\'s full of anger and keeps all her emotions inside of her and takes all her anger out on hurting me. the wierd thing is that she says that the reason she has so many friends is \"[she\'s] only that way toward [her] family, never to any of [her] friends.\" my parents don\'t think she needs help. they don\'t see it. they just think it\'s a phase she\'s going through and she just needs to grow up. they say \"she\'s just a baby. she doesn\'t know what she\'s saying or what she\'s doing\" what can i do to help her? how can i get my parents to listen to me and understand that she really does need help and that her behavior is not normal?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.