Will I Have To Deal With PTSD For The Rest Of My Life?
I have Complex PTSD and depression. I have made a good deal of progress and my symptoms are way down. My therapist and psychiatrist tell me that this is a chronic situation and that I will be seeing the psychiatrist for a long time to come. This is very distressing to me that I will be stuck with this label for life. Is it realistic to totally get over one's PTSD? I have been told that it is time for me to start accepting this as a long-term chronic situation and that is very hard for me to do. My symptoms have waxed and waned for quite awhile. They want me to go to a DBT group to learn coping strategies.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.